Monday, November 11, 2013

Home Remodel :: Part 2 (All the details...)

I'm taking a break from the reno today, to actually talk about the reno progress.

Everything seems to be in a semi-unfinished state around here which makes it difficult to photograph and blog about. So I thought in the mean time I would share several of the design decisions we've made along the way, so you can at least see the direction we are headed.

If you follow @loveathomedesigns on Instagram, you've probably been seeing sneak peaks of our new home's vision and design. We are moving full steam ahead with a Farmhouse Modern look, a term coined affectionately by this new book out on the market. 

Think light and bright, tons of color, rustic and earthy, clean lines, unique eclectic pieces, and lots of old world charm with modern flair. 

You still with me? I promise it works.    

Let's get to a few details...

Cabinets
We scoured the internet, Pinterest and home design mags for cabinet ideas. We knew we wanted white shaker style cabinets, so we headed to Lowe's and had them mock up a design for us and give us a quote. The quote ended up being extremely high for what we wanted and the turn-a-round timeline for custom cabinets was much longer than we could work with. So we scrapped the big box store idea and went back to square one. I was flipping through a Better Homes and Garden magazine and came across an ad for Cabinets to Go, one of BHG's preferred vendors. They happened to have a location fairly close to us, so I sent the store manager our dimensions and within two hours he had our kitchen mocked up - and the bid came back at half the cost! 

We chose the Findley and Meyers Malibu White cabinet series. I showed you a couple sneak peaks of the cabinets a few weeks back.
My two cents on Cabinets to Go. They are great on the front end - and we really liked working with Ted (the store manager) from the Kent, WA location. BUT...and there is a big but...the back end service was not great. Kyle showed up the day our cabinets came in and it was a nightmare tracking down all of our cabinets from the massive delivery that arrived on the truck that day. Also, a few of our cabinet pieces were back ordered and they didn't give us any forewarning that we would be waiting several weeks for those. Overall, we probably got what we paid for. These are much better quality than any big home improvement store stock cabinets or IKEA cabinets. We just had to work a little harder for them in the end to make sure we got everything we ordered.

Hardware
I wanted black or oil rubbed bronze rustic hardware to provide high contrast against the white cabinets. We ended up going with these and these from Ikea and couldn't be happier. They are not as glossy in real life, but much more rustic looking.

Farmhouse Sink
Well, we went for it! After tons of debate with our sink selection, we chose this double bowl farm sink. I initially wanted an under mount stainless steel or copper sink - but when I saw this one, reviewed all the ratings, and talked with our friends that own a plumbing business who said this was a screaming deal, we went with this one. And we LOVE IT! Who knew doing dishes could be so fun? Okay - maybe I won't go that far, but it really is an awesome sink. And apparently Shelley from House of Smiths fell in love with it too. Here it is recently installed in her new kitchen.


Sink Faucet
We chose this Moen sink faucet. Clean, simple, convenient. It gets the job done well.


Farmhouse Table
What's a farmhouse great room space without a REALLY rustic-looking table? I've had my eye on this one since the spring. We snatched it up during WM's dining event at the end of summer. It really is what spear-headed our whole vision. (Turns out, unbeknownst to us, my sister in law and brother in law bought the same table a week before us. It's a good one, people!)


Paint
We chose Revere Pewter (by Benjamin Moore) for the great room (kitchen, living and dining), upstairs hallway and lower level hallway and family room. It's dreeeeeeeeeamy! Here is a very true-to-color image of the color.

via

Curtains
Ikea came through for us again via these Ritva curtains which we used throughout our whole space - bay windows, slider off the dining area and above the kitchen sink. The texture is warm and reminds me of a little of a painter's drop cloth - uh, that's probably why I chose them. They appear solid off-white at night, and then as the light pours in through the day, all this fun detail comes through.


Okay - I think I'll leave you there for now. Our granite in the kitchen gets installed tomorrow - then our butcher block on the island, back splash, and all our trim and moldings.

We are in the HOME STRETCH!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it all in person in just about a month or so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so great! We are considering Cabinets to Go and I appreciate your advice. Do you continue to love them even a few months in?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a lovely comment!

Meet Amber

Meet Amber
I feel most "at home" sipping a cup of coffee, a paint brush in my hand, a kid on my hip, barefoot in the kitchen, knee deep in dirt on a farm, my toes in the sand, or buried in treasures at a thrift store. Thanks for stopping by my blog - I hope you leave inspired.

Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  RSS Feed

Follow by Email

Loading...

Designed by

Munchkin Land Designs
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved